Because of the White House’s and Congress’s inability to reach a deal to reverse mandatory across-the-board sequestration budget cuts, the initial round of multi-billion cuts to defense and non-defense federal agencies has begun. Unless reversed, sequestration will cut defense and non-defense programs by $1 trillion over nine years. Sequestration will put at risk well over a million American jobs including hundreds of thousands of small business jobs, and threatens to stall the economic recovery.
The public is now waking up to the consequences of sequestration. You can make a difference. Write your elected officials and urge them to reverse this bad policy.
· Force sizes of the Army, Navy and Air Force will shrink to historic lows
· Defense research and modernization grinds to a halt
· Training and troop readiness will be “severely reduced”
· Travelers can expect significant delays while going through airports
· NextGen improvements to the nation’s air transportation system will be delayed
· The Space Shuttle replacement program will be stalled
· U.S. at risk of extended delays in polar-orbiting weather satellite coverage beginning in 2017